Friday, February 19, 2010

The Importance of Life and Excellence

I went to an absolutely amazing place yesterday. One of the ministries our church is involved in is the Dallas Pregnancy Resource Center. They are a place where women in unplanned pregnancies can come and receive help. I was overwhelmed by this visit for several reasons.

First, I was amazed to learn about how babies develop in the womb, and utterly horrified by the details about how abortions take place. I am seriously ill just thinking about it. We watched a sonogram recorded earlier of a baby at 8 weeks. The baby was moving all around- arms and legs waving and the baby turning back and forth! We watched a 4-D sonogram from a 24 week baby and you could see his facial features, fingers and toes, was moving all around as well. There is absolutely no question these babies are human and are alive- which shows how gruesome abortion really is.

I was also impressed by the professionalism of the facility, as well as the kindness of the women who work there. I felt so comfortable, at ease, and cared for by them. It was so apparent they are doing exactly what God is calling them to do & they are great at it! The first priority of the center is to proclaim the name of Jesus to their clients, so they share the gospel with every one. They are all about helping parents make the best choice for their baby (life), but also acknowledge that it is their choice & are not condeming or pressuring at all. They have so many great programs that draw women in, even if they are totally abortion-minded, and keep them coming back. They offer free sonograms, which are required before having an abortion. Amazingly, Planned Parenthood is actually sending women to the DPRC for these free sonograms!! Since adding their sonogram machine, they estimate the percentage of women choosing life has increased from 40% to 70%! They also offer all sorts of classes designed to prepare moms and dads for parenthood, and for every class they take, they earn "dollars" to use towards new and gently used baby supplies. Genius!!!!!!!

I walked away absolutely convinced of the urgency of their ministry, and praising God that they exist and how He has blessed their ministry! Last year, 170 babies were saved from abortion and 80 women became Christ followers! I'm also so challenged and encouraged by the way they have taken on their cause with excellence. They are an amazing picture of the heart of Jesus, and represent His name so well. I get so frustrated by the people who rally behind the pro-life cause with hatefulness and judgement "in the name of Christ". I pray that I will handle with such grace, gentleness and excellence the things God is calling me to invest my life in.

Anyway, this is a longer than normal post, but I just had to gush over the awesomeness of DPRC!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment